Oh Yum!! Who can resist the buttery crust, tangy lemon custard filling and the sweet dusting of powdered sugar? I sure can’t! This was the very first recipe I ever used when I was in college. I remember using baking soda instead of powder, figuring they were the same! Oh I have come a long way baby! In the photo above I cut the bars into small squares and placed them on a cup-cake liner. A perfect way to serve them to large crowds.
Make life easier and mix the dough and filling in your food processor! Perfection every time!
The crust is a beautiful golden brown. Ready for the lemon topping!
Be sure to dust the top of the bars with powdered sugar right after they come out of the oven. The sugar kind of “melts” into the topping and stays somewhat secure when you cut into them.
Pure lemon heaven!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks) at room temperature
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a food processor fitted with a metal blade mix the flour, butter, and powdered sugar. Mix until the dough forms a ball.
- In a 9x13 pan pat crust mixture evenly to bottom of pan. Place in oven for 20-25 minutes or until crust is slightly golden brown.
- While crust is baking mix lemon custard in food processor fitted with metal blade (eggs through baking powder).
- Pour filling over crust and bake another 25 minutes at 350 degrees F. After baking and slightly cooled, sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- After lemon bars have cooled completely, cut into bars.
Classic Lemon Bars
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a food processor fitted with the metal blade mix in;
2 cups flour
1 cup butter (2 sticks) at room temperature
½ cup powdered sugar
In a 9 x 13 pan, pat the crust mixture evenly on the bottom of the pan. Place in oven for 20-25 minutes or until the crust is slightly golden brown.
While the crust is baking mix the lemon custard in the food processor with the metal blade.
2 cups sugar
6 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
4 tablespoons white flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
Pour filling over crust and bake another 25 minutes at 350 degrees. Right after the bars come out of the oven, immediately sift the powdered sugar on top. After they have cooled, cut into bars. Yields about 16 smaller bars, 12 really large bars.