Lemon Snowball Cookies
Either way, these are so yummy. Just the right size to have with a cup of tea on a cold winter night or a glass of lemonade on a cool summer day.
They are so delicious and the subtle hint of lemon really shines through. These would also be pretty to give as a gift. They have the little dessert boxes that you can buy at Michaels with the cellophane window. Surprise someone today with a special gift from your kitchen!
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- ¼ teaspoon salt*
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- *If you are using salted butter, you can omit the salt
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- zest of one lemon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium-sized bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Then add in the lemon zest. Add the flour, mixing until well combined.
- Form the dough into 1" balls; using about a tablespoon for each cookie. Place the balls on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake the cookies for 12 to 15 minutes. They should be light brown on the bottom, and feel set on top.
- Remove the cookies from the oven. Let them cool on the baking sheet for about 3 to 5 minutes; they are very fragile when hot!
- Roll the warm cookies into the powder sugar infused with lemon zest. Enjoy.