This Delicious soup is easy to make, full of fresh ingredients, and really hits the spot when you want something healthy. You could also omit the turkey, use vegetable broth and make this a vegetarian dish. Heck, you could also add in a little bit of cooked barley for a little more substance if you are making this vegetarian.
Be sure to use the flavored diced tomatoes, as this will add lots of nice flavor to the broth.
Top with a little sour cream and more fresh cilantro and you have a delicious meal. I froze about half of this so I can have it next week, too. Fresh vegetables, lean meat, perfect meal. Enjoy.
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 zucchini halved then sliced
- 2 cups fresh green beans, trimmed and washed
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- ½ cup frozen corn kernels
- 10 ounce can mild Rotel tomatoes
- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes with spicy red pepper
- 15 ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 32 ounces chicken broth or stock
- 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- squeeze of 1 lime (optional)
- In a large skillet, brown the turkey meat, add in the taco seasoning, suggested amount of water and 1 teaspoon of the ground cumin. Set aside.
- In a large stock pot add the can of rotel, diced tomatoes, chicken stock and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil.
- Add in the zucchini, green beans, carrots and corn. Boil on medium to medium high for about 20 minutes or until the vegetables are done to your liking :)
- Add in the kidney beans and chopped cilantro
- Fill your bowl, top with more fresh cilantro, a dollop of sour cream and a squeeze of lime juice.